The fastest way to move cattle is slowly.

**What follows is completely my opinion.**
Today, did I do the right thing?

This question is written on a sticky note on my bathroom mirror.  It is a simple reminder to myself that in life it doesn’t really matter how I feel, nor does it matter what happens, the only thing that matters is my response.  In fact, my response is completely my responsibility and the only thing in life I ever truly have control over. This is a concept that is important to apply to several areas of our lives, but I would venture to say that, as an Agriculturist, this concept should always be applied when dealing with animals.

As I am sure you are all aware, I was raised on a cattle ranch.  Our ranch sits in a very traditional ranching area.  Folks around our parts (ha! I just wanted to say that) have been doing things a certain way for a very long time.  One of the first lessons I learned in my youth was that, as a rancher, I am responsible for the lives and well being of animals, and that THAT was no small thing.  From a young age I was taught to be aware of animal behaviors and needs, and to react accordingly.  My Grandfather always said, “the fastest way to move cattle is slowly” and if you know anything about cattle you know he is completely correct.  Those Old Timers had all sorts of sayings and I know we have all grown up hearing them.  It truly is my belief that a majority of current day Agriculturists were raised to have a heart of animal husbandry.


When I think of the title animal husbandry the first image that comes into my mind is husband (weird).  At the sake of sounding like a sap, the word husband in my mind does hold the meaning of a safe haven.  Biblical references infer to us that husbands are meant to be the leader of a family, the center stone of trust, an insurer of a family’s well being, and one who loves unconditionally.  “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for it.”-Ephesians 5:25.  Merriam-Webster dictionary describes the word husband (when used as a verb) as: to carefully use or manage (something, such as a resource).  Notice the use of the word carefully.  My own thoughts on the word husband also bring forth the image of a protector.  So, it isn’t difficult to understand what those of us in animal husbandry must be committed to.  We are, in a sense, the husbands to the animals whose lives have been entrusted to us.

Sadly, this isn’t the case 100% of the time.  Now, I don’t want to go too deeply into talking about people who abuse animals.  To be honest, I don’t have much use for them, and I think of them amongst to most ignorant and simple of human beings.  It doesn’t take any intellect to behave badly.  What I do want to highlight in this post is the fact that: We as agriculturist must find a way to become proactive rather than reactive when it comes to animal welfare.


In life it can become so easy to become complacent.  When you do the same thing day in and day out it is easy to lose your edge.  Complacency, however, is often the root cause of many mistakes.  As agriculturists, we can never become complacent about welfare, the cost is just too high.  We have to be diligent and intentional in this matter everyday, all day.  We all know about the frustrations that can occur when dealing with animals, we can’t reason with them in the ways that we are accustomed to.  Sometimes you are late for an appointment, or you cannot believe they just busted up that gate, or you were just simply forgetful. All of these are understandable results of the basic human condition; sometimes you just make a mistake.  Sometimes you get angry, frustrated, or upset, or it is just easier and faster to cut a corner.  However, it is in those moments, prior to the mistake, that we must put on the husband part of animal husbandry; it is in those moments that we must be intentional.

I know I am preaching to choir and that all of this goes without saying, but it probably bears repeating.  We have to find a place of zero tolerance for abuse in animal agriculture.  We should not be caught off guard by a leaked video, and then frantically attempt to put out the fire.  The fire should not be occurring in the first place.  It is up to the members of the Ag community to put this issue to rest.  Now, trust me, I am aware that not all videos/information put out by animal activist groups are credible, but some of them are and some is just too many. 


We can all play a role in this effort by simply being intentional.  Ask yourself if your reaction is warranted by the situation.  Remind yourself to remain calm and conscientious.  Never turn a blind eye to another’s poor reaction.  Always be aware of the animal’s point of view.   Most importantly, be the example of a dedicated member of animal agriculture, and the person your Grandfather raised you to be.  I know you already are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pack Toilet Paper

#31 All men should carry handkerchiefs.

Life is not a snapshot