True confessions of a rancher's daughter.

I am a rancher’s daughter.  Yep, born and raised on a cattle ranch in northern Nevada.  My family has been living and ranching in the same area for over a hundred years.  So, I guess you could say ranching is in my blood.  I went on my first horseback ride when I was about one, I have grown up participating in the many activities that are part of making a ranch operate, and I have attended rodeos/cuttings/horse shows for most of my life.  I am very proud of my heritage and I love that I grew up the way that I did, but sometimes I have felt in my life that I don’t quite fit the mold.  As many of you in the ranching subculture may know there seems to be certain qualities that make up a "rancher’s daughter" and to be honest I don’t really have very many of them.   Yes, I know it; this is a time of true confessions of a rancher’s daughter:
1)   I can’t rope.  Ok, let me be clear, I don’t want to rope.  I am capable of the task and have from time to time appeased my brother by partaking in the activity.  I just don’t really care for it.  I would much rather do something else to help during branding season.

2)   I love horses, but I don’t necessarily want to ride one every single day.  I don’t think I would even consider myself good at riding.  My brother looks like a champ on a horse.  My sister is right at home galloping along.  As for me, well I look acceptable.   Don’t get me wrong, I am not worthless on a horse and I like to think that I am a worthwhile hand when I am needed.  I am just not going to be winning any awards for it. 
3)   I am in zero ways a Tomboy.  I don’t necessarily really like wearing pants…  I am usually more comfortable in a sundress.  I don’t really like to be dirty, nor do I much care for sweating.  Now, this doesn’t mean that I am not 100% willing to do whatever is on the agenda for the day when I am home, and if that means walking my butt up a mountain side putting up fence then I am ready…I just wish I could do it in a pair of shorts.  In fact, that very thing was a huge area of contention between my mother and I for many years.  That was until she actually let me wear shorts while putting up fence, let’s just say I still have the scar and she was right.

4)   I am too timid to give shots during vaccinating.  I don’t know what it is because my siblings and cousins seem right at home up on that catwalk administering shots.  I just get so nervous and frightened by cows when they are all lined up in an alley.  Now that is what you call a confession.

5)     Rodeos are just ok.  I don’t mind going to a rodeo, I think they are fun, and I love getting an Indian taco (every time, every single time!), but I wouldn’t say that I am all about them.  To be completely honest I don’t even know the rules to over half of the events.  So, most of the time I am just completely lost. 

6)   I can’t drive a stick and I am not necessarily awesome at parking a truck.  You want me to back up a trailer?  BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  You’re cute.

7)   I often use incorrect terminology.  I have been known the say things like “are we branding cows next weekend?”  To which I often get the response “well, we were thinking we would brand the calves seeing how the cows already have a brand.”  To further this idea, don’t ask me to enter into a discussion of cattle prices, feed prices, or things along those lines.   I don’t know, I don’t keep up with it, ask my Mom.

8)    I don’t have a clue about cowboy gear.  I know there are different types of reins, saddles, bits, spurs, cinches, etc.  I don’t think I could tell you why they are different…

9)   I love my boots, I think Miss Me jeans are cute, and I am pretty in to western jewelry, but that is where it stops.  I think I look super dumb in a button up shirt.  I have never worn a cowboy hat, except when I put my brother’s on to make him laugh.  I own a belt buckle that I won for senior showmanship in 2003 that I have never worn.  I don’t currently own a pair of chaps (but my super amazingly talented cousin is making me a pair, and I am pretty excited), and I honestly don’t know what I would even do with any other western garb.

10)  I am a mess when it comes to genetics and keeping up with lineages.  Sure, I guess 312 is probably, more than likely, out of 812 and was sired by BRJK new design connealy turbo mitty thunder 694.  I don’t freaking know. Unless they are my cows I honestly don’t really care.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pack Toilet Paper

#31 All men should carry handkerchiefs.

Life is not a snapshot