Countdown to Kilimanjaro


I am sorta chubby.  We all know that.  In fact, if I were real honest, there was a point in my life where I was just flat out fat.  This is not being too hard on myself; this is being capable of owning myself.  The truth is I am probably always going to have big thighs and a big butt.  Why?  Well, because I love pizza and beer…together and separately, but mostly together.  This is something I have come to terms with.  However, I also know that I can be healthy in that.  I may never have tiny, skinny legs like most girls, but I can be strong and physically capable.  Which leads me to the point of this blog:  I am going to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro in the year 2016.

Yes, you heard me right.  I am going to climb the highest mountain in Africa.

A little background on me:  My entire life I have wanted to see the world.  However, the one place I have always dreamed of going is Africa.   This desire began upon watching (one of my all time favorite movies) out of Africa.  For future reference, my movie character crush is Denys Finch Hatton (based off of the real man, but played by Robert Redford…swoon).  In that movie there are lovely landscapes of Africa, and for some reason my heart caught the fire.  Then there is the quote by Denys, “I don’t want to find out someday that I am at the end of someone else’s life.”  Ohhhhh Denys…I understand why the Bareness loved you.   Anyways, I digress.  I am so excited to say that I am finally going to get my dream; my job is based upon research in Africa.  


I have come a long way in my weight loss journey.  After awhile I have really started to look at it as a strength journey instead.  Probably one of the biggest things I have learned is that you have to really begin to look at weight loss as a lifestyle change.  Which I know isn’t a new idea.  However, I think sometimes it is easy to forget.  A large part of making physical fitness and healthy eating a part of your life is realizing that there are times where your routine will disappear.  During those times it is important to keep a good mindset and give yourself some slack; while also attempting to control the damage as best you can.  In the last 12 weeks I have completely fallen off my routine.  Between graduating, moving, starting a new job, and experiencing some intense emotions it has been chaos, and I have lost a lot of ground.


I find that a great way to jump-start yourself to get back on track is to set a goal.  So, in September of 2016 I will climb Mt. Kilimanjaro.  Although this climb is not difficult from a technical standpoint, this climb will require me to be in strong physical shape.  I will be sharing in my journey with all of you here on my blog, with my final post reviewing the climb itself.  Please tune in if you’re interested!  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pack Toilet Paper

#31 All men should carry handkerchiefs.

Life is not a snapshot